Monday, February 2, 2009

Southern Hospitality is not an urban legend

This morning I was in line at Starbucks and there was a gentleman behind me. He was probably in his mid-fifties. The lady behind the drink station asked what she could get started for me, "a grande, vanilla, no water, chai, please." I pull out my wallet waiting to pay, and the guy behind me tells me he's got it. I notice he has a 50 in his hand. I tell him no, that's ok and think, "great, I'm in here in my sweats, he probably thinks I'm a hobo." (just kidding I knew he didn't think that) I tell him thanks and give him my Starbucks Gold Card so he can get the 10% discount and he orders his drink and a co-worker's. Again, I thank him and he says "don't thank me, thank Don. He's buying, he just doesn't know it yet." I walk over to Don and thank him for the drink he's bought me that he didn't know about. He says you're welcome and asks if "Steve" apparently that's the name of the guy behind me in line, bought everyone else's drink, too. "No," I say, "just mine." Again, he says you're welcome and I leave.

That made my day. There was no ulterior motive behind it, just a kind act. It makes me think of that bumper sticker that says, "Practice random acts of kindness." I urge you all to do so.

No comments: