Monday, March 23, 2009

The Happiest Place on Earth!

What a week! We just got back from Disney World on Saturday night. It was a fantastic vacation! Saturday night we went to the Elton John/Billy Joel concert in Atlanta, which was amazing. We stayed at the Georgian Terrace which hosted the premiere reception of Gone With the Wind. Of course, I was on cloud 9. We also went to the Margaret Mitchell house and the GWTW museum. Sunday we headed to Ormond Beach and while we were eating dinner we got to see the space shuttle launch. It was really neat. Monday we headed to Disney World and stayed in Magic Kingdom all day. We closed the park down. Tuesday we went to St. Augustine and what I thought would happen, did. We ended up wanting to spend the whole time in Disney! So, we booked a hotel that was 10 minutes from Disney (our beach hotel was an hour away) and spent every day in Disney. It was a blast!
Space Shuttle launch Lunch at the Prime Time Cafe (it's like eating in
a 1950's kitchen. The waiters tell you not to put
your elbows on the table, and stuff)

Wednesday was Bryan's birthday. We tried to have a beer in every country in Epcot. After the first one, we realized that would get very expensive and probably not wise becuase we're both such light weights. We ended up having a drink or food in every country instead. The only countries we didn't were Japan, China, America and Canada. That was only due to the fact we ran out of time and room in our stomachs. That night we had dinner at the Brown Derby in Hollywood Studios (nee MGM). I surprised Bryan with a birthday cake from the Disney bakery. It was the best cake I've ever eaten (as was my dinner).
Bryan and his cake
Then the scary part came. Bryan got me to go on the Rockin' Roller Coaster. For those of you who don't know, I'm not a thrill seeker and getting me on a roller coaster is a real feat. We lucked out. The line was over 100 minutes long and they'd run out of fast passes (these by the way are the best invention ever, it gives you a time to come back so you can skip the line). This couple came up to us and said a family had given them theirs and they only needed 2 so they gave us the other 2. Well, I was terrified. I'd braved Space Mountain (DW's is scarier than DL) and Splash Mountain (which I ended up loving and rode twice). But this one goes upside down! Ok, so the premise of the ride is that Aerosmith is late to a concert and have invited you to go along. So you get in a hot pink "limo" and take off. Take off we did. This ride doesn't start out slow, no you go from 0 to 70 in about 2 seconds. It was awesome! The whole time you pass signs like you're on the interstate and they play Aerosmith songs. I loved it! After that, I wasn't scared of anything. We rode the Tower of Terror twice. This was my all time favorite. Not just the ride but the detail that goes into all of it. Stuff to watch while you wait, what goes on before you drop, it's so detail-oriented.
Anyway, the rest of the trip was great. We did EVERYTHING! It definitely wasn't one of those vacations where you lay in a hammock and read. But I liked being on the go, I always do. We're already planning our next trip there.
Today I am thankful for opportunities to travel, hand sanitizer (gas station bathrooms on road trips are DISGUSTING!), my own bed and my own toilet.

No comments: