Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Who can turn the world on with her smile?


MTM! That's who. I love The Mary Tyler Moore Show. I used to always watch the reruns on Nick at Nite when I was younger. This was when they actually showed classic TV shows. Now, they show sitcoms from my childhood (like Family Matters). I don't think I'm old enough to be classic, just yet. Over time, I've acquired the first 4 seasons of MTM on DVD. As an adult, I can appreciate even more. This show made huge breakthroughs for women. It was okay to be in your thirties and single and put your career first. And let's face it: she was (and still is)adorable.From her cute pant suits, to her perfect dark flip and then later her cute bob, to her all-too-adorable studio apartment. I would KILL to have an apartment like that, fold out sofa bed and all. Maybe it's because she worked at a news station and that's what I aspire to, but if I could pick any TV character to be it'd be Mary Richards. Marlo Thomas may have been "That Girl" but MTM was the "It Girl" of the 70's.

So, with that being said: I resolve to be more like Mary Richards. Sweet, nice, confident and self-assured. I do know that there will always be parts of me that are more like Monica on Friends. Loud, competitive, OCD and a neat freak. But I will still try daily to take a nothing day and suddenly make it all seem worthwhile (and perhaps toss up my hat)

2 comments:

Pam Walker said...

Jenny:

I just got reading MTM's biography After All (from "she's going to make it after all"). It is very enlightening if you can get a copy. She just published in the last month a second one that I just bought but can't remember the title!

Beth Miller said...

OMG I used to watch MTM on Nick at Nite!!! I thought, thats what I want to be when I grow up! How funny!