Saturday, September 13, 2014

Fall Cleaning

 
While I know most people do their deep cleaning inthe spring, I like to do mine in the fall. Maybe it's because I like the house all clean and ready for my Christmas decorations I don't know. I have made my list and have crossed off a few things already. I was hoping I would have it all done before I leave for a 2 week business trip, but that's not going to happen. I leave Monday.

Here is the list:

Kitchen:
- clean grout
- clean behind oven
- clean behind fridge
- clean inside of fridge
- organize pantry*
- clean pantry floor
- wash  fabric blinds on french doors (not sure how I'm going to do this as they have hardware on them that isn't removable)
- dust blinds
- clean window sills
- clean window
- dust light fixtures
- dust baseboards
- organize cabinets
- vacuum out cabinets
- Magic Eraser on all cabinets, oven/DW/fridge handles/backdoor**
- clean oven***
- clean copper canisters
- polish silver

* Our pantry has to be re-organized a few times a year as it is small and easily gets cluttered. Here is where I posted about it originally.
** Magic Erasers are life-changing! That natural discoloration that can happen to door handles (especially white) just from the same spot always being touched when opening said door, instantly gone with a little wipe of the Magic Eraser. Barely any elbow grease involved! I also use them on my baseboards.
*** Right, wrong, or indifferent I use Easy Off to clean my oven. I know the fumes are bad for me, but I have tried to use a home-remedy cleaner with baking soda or vinegar or whatever Martha and Pinterest recommends and it just doesn't work.

Powder Room:                        Upstairs Hallway:
- clean grout                             - dust baseboards/beadboard
- dust baseboards                     - clean vent
- organize cabinets                  - clean under/behind bookcase
- Magic Eraser on cabinets     - organize linen closet

Laundry Room (ahem, closet):         Coat Closet:
- clean washer/dryer                             - Old coats to Goodwill*
- vacuum behind washer/dryer             - organize holiday decorations**  
- clean/organize shelves                       - vacuum out bottom of closet

* Anyone else hold on to their coat for decades? One of my coats is worn and I couldn't figure out why seems like it's not that old. Then I realized I got it in 2006.
** We're fortunate that our coat closet goes under the stairs. I can get 2 Rubbermaid bins 4 deep and 2 high. All my Christmas/fall/etc decorations are right in the closet in our living room which is really convenient!

Guestroom:                                                          
- organize dresser/chest of drawers*
- organize closet*
- clothes to Goodwill
- dust baseboards
- clean windowsill
- clean window

* Yes, I have so many clothes that I have to keep them in the guestroom furniture as well as my dresser and closet in our room. The guestroom closet has my winter or summer clothes (depending on the season) and all of Christopher's suits in there. Along with craft supplies, scrapbooking stuff, knitting, etc.

Master Bedroom:                                       Upstairs Bathroom:
- dust baseboards                                          - clean grout
- clean windowsills                                       - clean shower rack
- clean windows                                            - wash shower curtain
- dust ceiling fan                                           - dust baseboards
- organize closets                                          - Magic Eraser on cabinets
- clothes to Goodwill                                    - Organize cabinets
- organize dresser drawers                            - vacuum out bins
- vacuum closets                                           - wipe down walls
- vacuum mattress

Living Room:                                            Patio/Outside:
- vacuum chair and couch                          - clean/organize cabinet (Thanks, hubby!)
- vacuum behind couch                             - clean glider
- dust baseboards                                       - clean doors
- clean windows                                        - power wash patio/bick wall
- clean window sills                                  - lights for flower beds
- clean above door                                    - clean bikes
- dust ceiling fan                                       - clean out flower beds
- go thru magazines                                  - plant fall flowers
- organize bookshelves
- take off books and dust shelves
- organize movies
- take out movies and dust all shelves in entertainment center

It would seem I have a daunting task ahead of me, but I like to do a few things each day. I know I won't get it all done at once. While that would be nice, it's not possible. DO any of y'all have an annual cleaning ritual?

No comments: