Saturday, October 27, 2012

Thirty Before 30:# 24

#24: Go without makeup.

I'm not completely sure why this made the list. Maybe I was just scrambling for things. I read an article about a woman who went a month without makeup. She said she did it because she felt that she hid behind it. I don't necessarily feel I do this, but it did get me thinking. I wear makeup everyday and do not feel as though I'm "ready" without it. Then, in Bible study the other day we discussed what takes away from us getting up and spending time with the Lord before we start our day. This got me to thinking. If I didn't spend 45 minutes to an hour getting ready each morning (this is from the second I get in the shower from the time I walk out the door) could that time be better spent in His Word? Let's be honest, I would probably spend it sleeping.

The opportunity came up this past Sunday. I woke up after 8:30, Sunday school starts between 9 and 9:15. I thought this is my chance. So I showered, did my hair, got dressed and was ready for church, sans my make-up. It felt weird to be bare-faced. As we walked in the building, I thought will people think I'm sick? You have to admit, the difference between someone wearing make-up and someone not wearing it is usually pretty obvious. None of these people have ever seen me without it, so it wouldn't be something they were used to. Halfway through class, I didn't feel weird anymore. I didn't really feel like anyone was looking at me weird. Although, I wondered if anyone noticed. We were supposed to have our pics taken for the class directory. I admit, I definitely did NOT go and get my picture taken. (Sorry, Emily!) I will this week, when I have my "face on."

Moral of the story: It was something I wanted to do, just to say I had done it and see if it felt any different. It did. I like feeling "ready." But, now I know when I'm running out of time, or really want some extra time in the morning spent with Him, I can forgo my cosmetics.

No comments: