Saturday, December 21, 2013

I Can No Longer Remain Silent




For those of you who know me well or have even spent 5 minutes with me, your attention was probably grabbed from the title of this post because you’re thinking: “She can no longer remain silent? When has she EVER been silent?” I like to talk and I have an opinion on pretty much everything. From Benghazi to the stoppers they put in my Starbucks cup. But you’d be surprised to know that there are many times I keep my mouth shut. There are many times I don’t share something on Facebook or post a status because of who I may offend, whose feelings I may hurt, or because I’m just not in the mood to get into a spitting match on Facebook. You know social media that I don’t like to take seriously. But I’ll post on that another day. After thinking this over for a few days now I have come to the decision to post my thoughts on what happened with Phil Robertson on my blog. Yes, I know it may sound hypocritical since I just said I don’t take social media seriously. If you regularly read my blog, you know I never really put anything on here that serious. I talk about cooking, travelling, what I wore, etc.  However, it’s also a way I can reach the masses and it gives me a platform where I can think about what I say and make sure I don’t just spout off. Also, I would like to say to my liberal friends (and conservative friends, too) don’t decide not to read this on the assumption I’m going to sound off on a right-wing rant. I have given this a lot of thought and consideration. Yes, I want to talk about Phil’s comments but I’d like to talk about what I believe and what I’ve based them on.

First, let’s talk about Phil. I love the show Duck Dynasty. I will admit I love it because they aren’t the “norm.” I love watching a show where a Christian family openly talks about Jesus, has funny (albeit admittedly scripted) predicaments they get into and just isn’t the same reality show trash that has been on TV since Real World came on. If you don’t like the show, that’s fine. Don’t watch it. No biggie. After hearing what happened Wednesday night, I went onto the internet and looked up the GQ article. If you haven’t read it, go read it right here. The media has taken different things that were said out of context from the interview. It’s a very good article, and I give the interviewer props for going down to West Monroe and riding the ATV and shooting and visiting their home. The big controversy is that Phil made “homophobic” comments. (Side note: I hate that word. Not agreeing with something doesn’t make you scared of it. I don’t agree with LOTS of things, but I’m not scared of any of them!) Phil said, “It seems like, to me, a vagina—as a man—would be more desirable than a man’s anus. That’s just me. I’m just thinking: There’s more there! She’s got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes!” Any heterosexual man who does or does not support homosexuality feels that way. A heterosexual man prefers a woman’s vagina over a man’s anus. So, how is that so vile or condemning? He’s just stating his sexual preference. Just so you know kids, “anus” and “vagina” are medical terms for body parts. In the article, the interviewer states “There are seat belts in this ATV, but it doesn’t look like they’ve ever been used. Phil is not wearing one. I am not wearing one, because I don’t want Phil to think I’m a pussy.” Um, hello? The last time I checked that word is usually viewed as “vile” in society compared to the clinical term for it.

Below is straight from the GQ article. This is what caused most of the uproar:

We’re Bible-thumpers who just happened to end up on television,” he tells me. “You put in your article that the Robertson family really believes strongly that if the human race loved each other and they loved God, we would just be better off. We ought to just be repentant, turn to God, and let’s get on with it, and everything will turn around.” What does repentance entail? Well, in Robertson’s worldview, America was a country founded upon Christian values (Thou shalt not kill, etc.), and he believes that the gradual removal of Christian symbolism from public spaces has diluted those founding principles. (He and Si take turns going on about why the Ten Commandments ought to be displayed outside courthouses.) He sees the popularity of Duck Dynasty as a small corrective to all that we have lost. “Everything is blurred on what’s right and what’s wrong,” he says. “Sin becomes fine.” What, in your mind, is sinful? “Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men,” he says. Then he paraphrases Corinthians: “Don’t be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers—they won’t inherit the kingdom of God. Don’t deceive yourself. It’s not right.

He states FIRST that the human race should love God and each other. That doesn’t sound like hate speech to me. When he is asked what he thinks is sinful, he QUOTES the Bible. Whether you believe the book or not, he just quoted it. Everything he listed as sinful is listed in the Bible as sinful. Later in the article he is quoted saying “We never, ever judge someone on who’s going to heaven, hell. That’s the Almighty’s job. We just love ’em, give ’em the good news about Jesus—whether they’re homosexuals, drunks, terrorists. We let God sort ’em out later, you see what I’m saying?” He NEVER once condemns people for being homosexual. He states his own sexuality, what he believes from the Bible and then says it’s no one’s place to judge anyone for ANYTHING. So, I ask where did he condemn homosexuals in the interview?  People are going to disagree with the things you do in your life every day. That doesn’t mean they are condemning you or judging you. GLAAD stated that "Phil and his family claim to be Christian, but Phil's lies about an entire community fly in the face of what true Christians believe.” This is completely untrue. He didn’t lie about the gay community. And where is it GLAAD’s place to say what true Christian’s believe? The definition of a true Christian would be in the Bible, that book Phil quoted that states homosexuality is a sin. I’m just a bit confused by the hypocrisy in that statement.

Speaking of hypocrisy, there’s a lot of that going around on social media. The common theme seems to be that people are picking and choosing what parts of the Bible they want to follow. Someone posted a picture of Phil with Leviticus 10:6 that states “Then Moses said to Aaron and his sons Eleazar and Ithamar, “Do not let your hair become unkempt, and do not tear your clothes…”” This is under the old covenant that God made with Moses. Under the old covenant, there were many laws for the Israelites to follow. When Moses is referring to “unkempt hair” he is speaking to the Levite priests. The old covenant required them to sacrifice animals to repent of their sins. The new covenant of course was Jesus Christ. He fulfilled the laws of the old covenant.  Jesus said “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. (Matthew 5:17) Someone else posted on Facebook that how can Phil be called a good Christian when Leviticus 19:17-18 says, “Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him. Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the Lord.” They posted “I guess that part of being a good Christian is okay to disregard when it comes to the hatred of some? Considering that is the 3rd book written and specific to the 10 Commandments I would like to think that it takes precedent over all else in the bible. Even if there are some places of contradiction later.” First off, Phil never said anything that was hateful or judgmental. He stated he prefers vagina and quoted the Bible. He also stated that we should all love each other and God and let Him sort out the sinners, As far as the Bible being a contradiction, that’s absolutely not true. The Bible states in multiple places to love each other as Christ loves us. It states what sins are what. Love the sinner, hate the sin. Calling something a sin doesn’t mean you are hating the person doing it or that you are condemning them. I also saw a post that talked about how Jesus when out amongst prostitutes, thieves, adulterers, etc. Yes, He absolutely did. He didn’t do it because he condoned their actions but to save them. Look at the story in John where the adulteress was about to be stoned. Jesus told her to go out and sin no more. (John 8:11) He acknowledged that she was a sinner but through Him she could be born again and be forgiven of her sins. We all can! So, yes Jesus went among the lowest of the low but He was saving them not condoning them. I have gay friends and family members; I love them as I am called to do. That doesn’t mean I condone their lifestyle but I don’t judge them either. For I know I am now without sin either.

Don’t get me wrong, I get it. I understand the confusion. Why did God make homosexuality a sin? It doesn’t hurt anyone. It’s not like murder, suicide, adultery, things that hurt other people. Like Phil said: “But hey, sin: It’s not logical, my man. It’s just not logical.” It is not my job to question God, or try to understand why He has chosen to do something, it is my job to follow His laws and worship Him. It is my job to fully trust Him and believe He knows what He’s doing. Funny, every time I do that my life turns out better than I ever imagined.

All of that was to get to my point: The whole point of this post was that I am hesitant to repost things on Facebook pertaining to Phil and that I felt I could better explain in a well-crafted thought out post. I really don’t ever want to hurt anyone’s feelings. I don’t. I don’t want to share a funny picture pertaining to Duck Dynasty and freedom of speech and my gay friends and family members think I don’t like them or are judging them because I posted it. BUT, whether it’s a funny post, a scripture, whatever I know that there is only one person I need to worry about offending and that is the Lord Jesus Christ. I think as a Christian I should take a cue from ole Phil. In the interview he asks the reporter about his faith and shares with him the gospel. Isn’t that what as Christians we are called to do? “And He said to them, Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.” (Mark 16:15) Phil isn’t ashamed of being a follower of Christ and neither am I. This is what I believe: God sent His Son in human form to die for all our sins and have everlasting life. (John 3:16) I believe that God is omnipotent and never-changing. His laws are the same yesterday, today and forever. (Malachi 3:6) I believe that the only way to Heaven is through the Lord Jesus Christ. “Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.” (John 14:6) If you accept Him as your Savior you are washed clean of your sins. You don’t have to be a perfect person (Jesus is the only perfect person to have ever walked the earth) to get to Heaven. Thank goodness!! If we had to be perfect there would be a long line to hell and I’d definitely be in it. I believe you can’t buy your way into Heaven with good deeds. However, we should all strive not to sin and do good things for other people as we are called to do.

The purpose of this post was to share with you all what I believe and why I believe it. (and of course to give you my opinion on Phil Robertson) If you are not a Christian or an atheist, I understand that I probably didn’t convince you there’s a God. As my friend’s husband (who’s a youth minister) once told me. You can’t convince a non-believer to believe by quoting scripture. They don’t believe in it anyway. But, hopefully it gives you some insight into my beliefs and you now know that because I “stand with Phil,” doesn’t mean I hate, discriminate or judge anyone. Merry Christmas, everyone and God bless.

Please note: all Bible verses are from the King James version. My quotes from the interview are from http://www.gq.com/entertainment/television/201401/duck-dynasty-phil-robertson and comments from GLAAD are from http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-st-glaad-phil-robertson-duck-dynasty-vile-remarks-20131218,0,5794392.story#axzz2o8KZhq7D.






4 comments:

MrGary said...

Well thought out, nicely written.

It is really NICE to have a cousin like you!

God bless you and yours Jennifer!

Gary

Unknown said...

Well stated, Jennifer!

Amber said...

Loved this!!! You said everything so well!! So glad your mom shared this on Facebook! :)

Mrs. W said...

Thank y'all so much for the encouragement! I knew I was going out on a limb by speaking on this and would probably tick off a few people. This makes me feel good about it.