Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Christmas Traditions


 
Merry Christmas, everyone! I was reading my friend Ashley's blog (go check it out, it's adorable)  the other day about Christmas traditions. She talked about how her family doesn't have any real set traditions as far as what they eat, where they are, etc. It got me to thinking about my own Christmas traditions. As a kid, my family had several things we did year after year. We always go to church on Christmas eve. Christmas eve dinner consisted of party foods and hor d'ouvres (sausage balls, raw oysters, peel and eat shrimp, summer sausage, you get the idea) and we'd always play a game. As we got older, we'd stay up late playing intense games of Trivial Pursuit. When we were younger, my mom had no problem getting us to bed. We were the kids who when we were tired we went to sleep. We actually are both still that way. I barely ever make it through a movie! Christmas morning we opened gifts in our pjs, after being woken up at an extremely early hour. Little brother would get us up so early all the presents would be open by 6:30! I'll never forget the year that changed. I was back in Colorado for Christmas and went upstairs Christmas morning to find my parents dressed! In all my life, this had never happened. They told me my brother was still asleep so I could go get ready and then we'd do presents. This was so bizarre to me, but I went ahead and did it. Then I ran in his room and jumped on the bed to wake him up like he used to do to me.Stockings were always opened first. We tried to take turns opening gifts so it lasted longer. Breakfast usually consisted of a breakfast casserole of some sort (after we'd eaten half the candy in our stockings). Christmas dinner (which usually is eaten a few days after Christmas because we're so full from candy and snacks from Christmas eve) is surf and turf. We have prime rib and crab legs. This is probably my favorite tradition!
Another tradition, and probably the longest held, is Christmas pajamas. I have gotten Christmas pajamas on Christmas eve as long as I can remember. My Mawgie started it, and after she passed away my mother continued. Now, the hubby gets them with us.


Wearing our matching pajamas and playing none other than Trivial Pursuit. I remember I won that year!

The first year I brought C home for Christmas. Little brother didn't think he'd like him. He fit right in!
 
And then the tradition continued.
 
My mom will be thrilled to see I'm rocking pajamas from Christmas past.
Lots of found memories of these traditions I partook in for so many years. So, now that I'm married what traditions do we have now? This is only our second married Christmas, so we're still getting used to the fact that we can start our own traditions. Some things are the same as last year, some are different. Both years, we've gone to church where we attend as a married couple. Both years we've spend Christmas eve and Christmas morning just the 2 of us. We go to his parents later in the day. Last year we spend New Year's eve in Colorado and did Christmas with my family the last week of December. This year, my hubby can't get off until the 13th. I will be travelling to CO alone on the first so I can see my brother while he's there. I will just bring C back his presents. The travelling part I know will probably be inconsistent until we have kids. My philosophy is kids should always wake up Christmas day in their own house. We open our stockings first, stay in our pajamas, then eat breakfast. Last year I made pancakes that were dyed green and stacked to look like Christmas trees. This year, I made quiche. Both years, we have watched Christmas movies on Christmas eve. The hubby loves A Christmas Story, which is not one of my faves, but it's been incorporated into the traditions we're creating. I guess when you get married the traditions you start are some from your family, some from theirs and new ones. I know after kids more and more traditions will begin and continue.

Below are two things I've started as my own traditions that I love. The first is the book, Promise Me by Richard Paul Evans. My mom turned me onto this about 4 years ago. I have read it every Christmas since. I know he has other books, I've just never read them. I love this book. Every year I read it the story is so familar, like an old friend. Yet, like a friend I discover something new each time I read it. Yeah, I know that was corny. Anyway, go and read this book. It's a quick read. I can't tell you what it's about without giving too much away. It's very much fiction and would never happen, and that's why I like it.
 

My other favorite tradition is m using my Christmas china. We don't get our Christmas decor out until December 1st. (Hey! I just found another tradition we created.) This year it was even later since I got the stomach bug on December 1st. Ugh. Anyway, the day after Thanksgiving I was going to put up all my regular china from dinner and thought "Why would I go to all this trouble just have to take it down and switch it out with the Christmas in 2 days?" So, that was one decoration that went up early. My pattern (as a simply southern wife, of course I have "my pattern") is Holly, by Lenox. I love how elegant it is. I use it no matter what we're eating. It's meant to be enjoyed! So even if we're eating frozen pizza, I will use the Christmas china. I have also been known to pour a beer in my Waterford. Why not? I love drinking my chai out of one of the pretty mugs. 

What are some of your family's traditions? Does Santa wrap his gifts or bring them unwrapped? (our Santa never wrapped) Do you get dressed before opening gifts? Do you open presents Christmas eve or Christmas day?  Whatever your traditions I hope you all have a very, merry Christmas! Remember: the ultimate tradition is that year after year we can remember God sent His Son to come to earth in human form so He could be the ultimate gift: everlasting life.
Merry Christmas, y'all!
Here are some ghosts from Christmas past:
 







 


No comments: