Tuesday, April 21, 2015

What's for Dinner?

Does anyone else struggle with answering this question? For awhile there, I was doing really good. I had my staple recipes, and was also trying 1-2 new recipes a week. Then, I got pregnant. I know it's different for everyone, but my first trimester was rough. I never threw up (ok, once or twice) but I was nauseated all day long. Certain foods sounded disgusting to me. The thought of meat? Vomit. Which is totally bizarre considering I love bacon! Oh, and smells? Same reaction. I actually hid my husband's cologne from him for about 6 weeks. But, I digress. I have to give my husband some mad props. He was/is very accommodating in making sure my cravings are met. He also never complained when he'd come home and all I'd want for dinner was a bowl of cereal to be followed by going to bed at 7. Poor guy, I'm pretty sure he had Spaghettio's and Ramen on several occasions for dinner. This was only because I was either too nauseated or too tired to cook. Bless him!




Now that I'm well into my second trimester (heck, I'm almost into my third), I have more energy and very little nausea. I still have cravings so dinner is still subjective to what I want (I promise, honey once he's out you can decide what we eat). Because of this I haven't really been venturing out and trying new recipes. Until the other night. The weather has finally gotten warm (praise the Lord!) and warm weather makes me want salads for dinner. Something about it being hot out, makes me want a lighter dinner. Also, I've been craving salads throughout the whole pregnancy. There were a few weeks where I went to Panera every day to get the Thai Chicken salad. I ran across this recipe on fellow blogger, Leslie's blog and it sounded so yummy I had to try it. It did not disappoint!




Really Good Salad:
spring mix lettuce
rotisserie chicken, shredded
sliced strawberries
sliced Granny Smith apples
feta cheese - I do not care for feta, so I used goat cheese. Yum!
golden raisins (optional)  - left these out
slivered almonds (optional) - love almonds, so there was no option.
poppyseed dressing - Per Leslie's suggestion, I used Newman's Own.




After a day of painting the nursery (husband) and lots of nesting (me) - more on that later, this was a perfect dinner. Easy to make, yet so delicious and filling! It was a huge hit. Will definitely be making it again, and if you come over for dinner one night, this quite possibly be on the menu. After all that hard work, we relaxed by eating our dinner and cheering on our beloved Grizzlies. Which is why we had to eat on coordinating blue and gold dishes. Hey, they won! So we will be eating on these dishes every night they play. It's only crazy if it doesn't work, right?


No comments: