Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Woah, baby!






In case you haven't heard, the Wilsons will be a family of three this summer. We are expecting a bouncing baby boy August 4th. Obviously, we are beyond thrilled. We absolutely cannot wait to meet him. I won't give you all the nitty gritty details (I've decided if I don't want to hear all that from other people. why would they want to hear it from me?) But we found out the week before Thanksgiving and told our families at Christmas. This is the first grandchild on both sides, so needless to say the grandparents are ecstatic.




People always ask me how I'm feeling. I'm the kind of person where you shouldn't ask how I am unless you really want to know. The first trimester was rough. I never really got sick, but I felt nauseated all. day. long. What is this morning sickness they speak of? It doesn't go away at noon!
However, second trimester I feel really good. A lot more energy, don't feel sick anymore and aside from heartburn (shout out to my friend Carey who shared with me the best heartburn remedy ever: apple juice mixed with 2 tbsp. of apple cider vinegar. Cures it instantly!) I feel good.




The only thing that I don't think ever goes away throughout pregnancy is irritability. It is amazing what people will say to you pregnant. Here is a sampling of things you should NEVER say to a pregnant woman:


- "Wow! You've gotten so big."
Yes, I know this. I am reminded of this every time I get in the shower and see myself naked. I am reminded of this every time I put on my underwear and realize it does not fit right anymore and I need to succumb to maternity undies. I am reminded of this every time I put on my jeans, albeit they're maternity, and huff and puff to pull them on.




- "You don't even look pregnant!"
Seriously?! I mean, I realize it's supposed to be a compliment but are you saying I always look like this?!




- "I was never sick during my pregnancy."
Good for you. Everyone handles pregnancy differently. But as someone who just told you how nauseated they are/were, why the hell would you tell me that? That does not make me feel better. That makes me want to kick you in the shins.




- "I only gained _____ pounds during my pregnancy."
Again, good for you. Same goes as for not being sick during pregnancy. I don't want to hear that. Why would you tell me that? That makes me feel worse than the never feeling sick comment. Except this one makes me want to punch you in the face.




- "You should/shouldn't do this or that."
This advice has been anything from why I shouldn't eat fish or lunchmeat to why I shouldn't have caffeine to why I should/shouldn't breastfeed and so on. I'm sure you're just trying to be helpful, but guess what? Having a kid does not make you Dr. Spock. I do not want your unsolicited advice. I have a doctor, thank you. I will stick with that she tells me to do. I also find the unsolicited advice really funny, especially from strangers. For some reason it is socially acceptable to go up to a pregnant person and start telling them what you think they need to do. Yet, no one would do this if you weren't pregnant. If I walked up to an overweight person that I don't know and started telling them all about what work out and diet they should have they would not only find me incredibly rude, they'd think I was nuts! Why is it all social graces go out the window for pregnant ladies?




-"Are you going to breastfeed?"
Why, are you hungry? I'm sorry but my breasts are none of your business.




"Were you trying?"
As if the boob question isn't personal enough, let's ask about my sex life! What if I went up to someone not pregnant and said "Do you use condoms or the pill or do you just pull and pray?" Not ok for the non-pregnant, not ok for the pregnant.




And the last thing that you should NEVER do to a pregnant woman...
DO NOT TOUCH HER BELLY!
I mean really, you would never do that to a non-pregnant person so again not ok for anyone. So weird, so intrusive, so rude.




I will say, that all of this can be chalked up to pregnant lady irritability. BUT, I do find it so weird that people think that all social norms and barriers are null and void when it comes to us preggos. I will also say that this doesn't apply to my girlfriends and close (female) family members. But to the strangers and any men out there follow this rule: If you didn't put it in there, it is not yours to touch, comment on or ask about.


On a positive note, here is what my fellow blogger Leslie had to say on what you SHOULD say to pregnant women.

No comments: