Tuesday, January 21, 2014

How I Do it Tuesday: Skin Care Routine

I've always been somewhat aware of taking care of my skin. My grandmother (who's 78 but looks 65) has always told me to always wash my face before bed no matter how tired, drunk etc I may be. I've followed this advice for the most part, although there are times I've been lazy. I will also say I've been pretty blessed with good skin. I never really had bad acne when I was younger and my mom has really good skin with not many wrinkles and like I said my grandmother looks younger than she is so I'm hoping genetics will help me age gracefully. But I also know that to look good when I'm older I have to take care of myself when I'm younger.

My sweet friend Kate, is also my esthitician. I asked her once what was the over-the-counter equivalent to the expensive skincare products being sold in spas. Her answer: Oil of Olay. I know, hard to believe. Now not just any Oil of Olay, but the Oil of Olay Pro X. It is the most expensive in the line (around $50 for day cream, night cream and eye cream) but that's pennies compared to what you'd pay in a spa. So, I've been using it for about a year and I love it. I don't use the Pro X facewash (can't justify $18 for it I know, I know) I use the Oil of Olay Regenerist at night and Target's version of the Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash Pink Grapefruit in the shower in the morning.

I also recently purchases the Clarisonic Mia Facial cleansing Brush. It. Is. Amazing. I mean life changing! My face feels so smooth after I use it, just like after a facial. You need to take your make-up off before washing your face with it. So, I have been using it in the shower in the morning since I washed my make-up off the night before. They recommend you use it daily but not more than once. There are also different brush components you can use. There's one for the body that's supposed to not only be good for exfoliating but getting rid of cellulite. Not sure if that works, but definitely worth trying! It's even good for men, as it can help with less irritation when shaving. There is a Mia 2 that's out and it has a timer that dings when you need to move to the next section of your face and has two different speeds. It also comes in a variety of colors. After reading lots of reviews, I decided I could count and that the 2 different speeds and colors weren't paying $150 for. I paid $115. Y'all, I'm telling you, it's completely worth it! It also cuts off after exactly one minute so you don't use it for too long.




1/2/3/4

No comments: