Thursday, May 23, 2013

Concert Crazy


This Sunday Sir Paul McCartney is performing in Memphis. Alas, sadly I will not be there.

Oh, Paul I would love to see you but I can't believe you charge so much for your tickets. You are the richest man in the UK. Do you really need to charge that much? I looked at the setlists from other cities on this tour and I am sad I will be missing you sing "Hey, Jude." But I take comfort in my memory of seeing you in 1993. I was 10 and you played the Memphis Colliseum. The tickets were $37.50 and 20 years ago (Sheesh! That makes me feel OLD!) that was a lot of money. My mom took me to the show on a school night and your wife Linda was with you and played the keyboard. You sang "Saw her Standing There," "Magical Mystery Tour," and when you sang "Live and Let Die," fireworks came up off the stage. So, I take comfort in the fact that at least I have seen you once and that's better than none.

Anyway, all this looking back on my first and only Paul McCartney concert has got me to thinking about all the concerts I've been to. The list is long (and in no particular order):

 - The Beach Boys (can't even tell you how many times, but one time John Stamos was the guest drummer I was so excited to see "Uncle Jesse!")
 - Styx
 - Grand Funk Railroad
 - The Steve Miller Band
 - Kansas
 - Huey Lewis and the News
 - America
 - Foreigner
 - Journey (x2)
 - Bon Jovi (x5, if you count the performance he did when I was at the Inaugural Ball)
 - Bruce Springsteen (x4)
 - Rascal Flatts (x2)
Bon Jovi at the Inaugural Ball
 - The Monkees
 - Lonestar
 - Montgomery Gentry
 - ZZ Top
 - Chris Ledoux
 - Ty Herndon
 - Kenny Chesney
 - Tim McGraw and Faith Hill
 - The New Kids on the Block (x2)
 - Cheap Trick (x2)
 - Heart
 - Herman's Hermits
 - Night Ranger
 - The Eagles
 - Nsync
 - George Strait (x2)
 - Dierks Bentley (x2)
 - Keith Urban
 - The Wreckers
 - Taylor Swift (warm up for George Strait WAY before she got big)
 - Better Than Ezra (x2)
 - YES
 - Matchbox Twenty
 - Jewel
 - Rob Thomas
 - Charlie Daniels
- Air Supply (yes, you read that right)
- Nelson Nelson (yes you read that right too and it was the warm up for the one above)
- The Backstreet Boys (x 5)
- Dave Barnes
- Lynard Skynard
- Luke Bryan
- Billy Idol (probably the best because I met my husband there!)
- George Thorogood
- Kid Rock
- Metallica
- Aerosmith
- Eli Young Band
- Elton John
- Billy Joel
- Jessica Simpson
- Nick Lachey
- JC Chasez
- Zac Brown Band
- Goo Goo Dolls
- Jerry Lee Lewis
Joey McIntyre
The BSB with NKOTB
- B52's
- Sublime
- John Mellancamp (he was terrible)
- Ke$ha
- Jordin Sparks
My concert partner-in-crime
- Justin Bieber (husband's idea NOT mine)
- Ludacris
- Blondie
- Pat Benatar
- KC and the Sunshine Band
- Paul McCartney

Some of these were at music fests, some were warm ups, but all were live performaces that I attended. If you haven't noticed, I was born a few decades too late. What concerts have YOU been to?

No comments: